Monday 12 March 2012

Save our Post Offices

I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want to.  The combination of Parcel Force and the Post Office provide the least customer focused and the least efficient service I can imagine.
On Thursday last week I received two notifications about parcels delivered to my house.  One notified me that the parcel had been left with my next door neighbour as I hadn't been in.  The other, from Parcel Force, notified me that they had taken my parcel to Horsham post office because I hadn't been in.
There is a postal depot with free parking just outside in Horsham but that was obviously too convenient.  There is nowhere to stop in the middle of town so I had to go into a council run car park, pay £2.00 to park for up to 2 hours when I hoped I would only need 5 minutes.
I went straight to the parcel counter where two members of staff who kindly stopped chatting to each other to point out that I should join the queue.  I waited for 20 minutes behind people some of whom had inexplicably queued up to buy stamps or use a debit card to withdraw cash.  When it was finally my turn I handed over my card and was sent back to the chatting couple to collect my parcel.
If this had been 1840 I might have welcomed the opportunity to spend 30 minutes in the Post Office to take a break from hand washing household linen or killing and plucking a chicken.
But its 2012, why on earth is the Post Office not open on a Sunday, or run with some efficiency and customer focus?  At the very least they could provide an express lane for people who have better things to do with their time than stand in a queue where only half of the windows are open.
I think the Post Office is doomed because they haven't joined the 21st century, I'm not even sure they've completely got to grips with the 20th yet.

1 comment: