Monday 26 March 2012

Come, Tell Me How You Live - Agatha Christie Mallowan

I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie's crime stories both as books and their film adaptations.  I can't remember how I came to buy this book, it may have been by accident thinking it was another novel which it isn't.  Its a very engaging account of the mechanics of how archaeology retrieves the ancient world.

First published in 1946 but recalling events from the 30's it reflects a society rather different that the one we experience in 21st century Europe but it also illustrates that even though behaviour considered socially acceptable changes from age to age (The Mallowan's leave their daughter in boarding school in England while they spend the summer in Syria) human characters do not.

I'm not usually a fan of non-fiction but I enjoyed this archaeological memoir enormously even though the Roman artifacts are considered an irrelevant inconvenience by the archaeologists.

No comments:

Post a Comment