Sunday 3 November 2013

Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding

An evening of fireworks and celebration resulted in a lot of leftover baguette and as I'm still not completely over GBBO I decided to try an experimental dish to use it up without ending up with a sweet bread and butter pudding that I would be unable to resist.

Adrian's verdict was 'surprising, it has the texture of normal bread and butter pudding but it is savoury............surprisingly delicious'.  So here's how I did it.

half a full size baguette
6 eggs
50g butter (weight guessed)
150ml milk
100g chorizo sliced
1 tomato thinly sliced
250g mushrooms, sliced
75g chopped green and black olives
dried herbs
parmesan cheese

First I grilled the mushrooms on the maximum grill setting on foil, moving them around every few mins, to get most of the moisture out.  About 8-10 mins in total.  While the mushrooms were grilling I chopped the chorizo.

Then I grilled the chopped chorizo for about 4 mins on a slightly lower grill setting to get some of the fat out.

Then I put the thinly sliced tomato onto the foil, with the chorizo fat, sprinkled with mixed herbs and grilled for about 10 mins turning a couple of times.

  

Butter the baguette slices, thinly, on both sides.  My original plan was to make sandwiches as you do for sweet bread and butter pudding but I abandoned that idea as it didn't look great.
The big gaps here are the reason I didn't go with this first configuration.





Put a layer of baguette slices on the bottom of the greased pie dish squashing them up so there are not big gaps.
Cover the bread with the chopped olives, grilled mushrooms, chorizo and tomatoes.
Cut the remaining baguette slices in half and placed them over the top of the mixture with the crusty side uppermost.  
Beat the eggs and milk together and pour over the top.  I squashed the whole lot down with an egg lifter to make sure the wet mixture was thoroughly soaked into the bread.
Sprinkled parmesan cheese over the top and bake in the oven for about 25-30 mins.

A nice alternative to quiche and good way to use up stale bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment