Friday 5 August 2011

Fiela's Child

This was to be the July Ickenham Youth Football team Book Club choice but the meeting was cancelled, partly due to lack of interest.   I think I might be the only person who actually read it.

It started quite promisingly and up to about half way through it maintained my interest.  Being the product of an unbroken home and knowing who my family are might put me at a disadvantage in understanding the angst of the main protagonist.  I can't help thinking as well that it was a little naive about the issues associated with an unofficial, inter racial adoption in South Africa at a time of apartheid.  The story would have worked better for me if the characters had been more rounded with more internal struggle between the dark and light elements of human nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment