Tuesday 15 March 2011

World Book Night

When I collected the books at Waterstones in Horsham I had the intention of giving them to random strangers.  And then I looked around at the strangers available and, even in a bookshop, they did not look worthy.  So I had to create a plan B.  It has been a bit more complicated mostly due to geography and it couldn't happen on 5 March but I selected the following people who I think (hope) will read the book and distributed to Adrian Elliott, Alison Bradley, Alison Regan (12 copies), Amanda O'Rourke, Amy Hardner, Angela Hendrik, Charlotte Davies, Cheryl, Chris Granger, Claire Morgan, Claire Wylie, David Dent, Di Blackman, Donna Vaughan, Jane Roffey, Janis Sharpe, Jez (4 copies for her book club), Jo Comaschi, Julie, Kate Moss, Katy Barrett, Linda Stabler, Lisa Condell, Louise Clarke (soon to be Ault), Louise Roberts, Louise Timms, Maureen Smith, Me , Melinda Dixon, Mother, Philippa French, Sarah Mohoney, Tracey Young, Vanessa Young.

The administration of World Book Night smacked of enthusiasm and great ideas backed up with not much in the way of sleeve rolling and getting on with it.  I may be doing the organisers an injustice here, getting 1 million books printed and distributed to 20,000 people around the country is a huge undertaking.  Unfortunately guidance on what the WBN experience is supposed to be was not readily available and even when I went looking for it I wasn't particularly successful.  The staff in Waterstones were very helpful but didn't have a clue either.

No comments:

Post a Comment