Tuesday 15 March 2011

Shall I slash my wrists now?

Is it just me or has the world become rather depressing of late?  A short web search came up with this group of reasons to lack cheer .  The end of the world seems to be particularly likely around xmas which is a bit of a bummer.  So the big question is why bother paying any bills if its all going to end soon? 

Watching the tragedy in Japan on the news last night made me very sad.  The devastation looks unbearable.  Then they showed a man who was picking through the rubble collecting photographs and small personal mementos to preserve them from the bulldozers about to clear the area and burn everthing.  The Salvager explained his mission as being to preserve some memories of the children who are probably dead.  After the obligatory British visitor, unharmed and largely unaffected by the disaster explaining how glad she was that she could contact someone at home on her mobile phone.  Then there was an expert interviewed about the financial impact of the disaster.  Of course he didn't say so but to me the subtext seemed that some investment wankers will be making a fortune out of this blip in the market - I find that abhorrent.  Another thought that dented my faith in the human race was the continual lament of the press about the lack of accurate numbers of victims of the quake.  Why do we care so much about how many there are?  It's a lot, and each individual death is a tragedy for someone.  There was reference to the long term financial implications of the Kobe quake in 1995 and their continuing impact.  There was no mention of the long term impact of the tragic loss of life. 

Even though I work in human resources and therefore have no heart I find this staggering.

I told you it was depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment