Thursday 20 January 2011

We're 5% through 2011 already

I set up a blog over the holiday season but haven't blogged yet so before time flies too far here goes.

I was born in 1961 and I'm using this year of a significant birthday as a catalyst for my transformation from frustrated office worker to freelance writer.  Did I actually say that? I better get going then.  I've planned a gentle route through short stories observing the exciting world of people management supplemented by a series of activities, some harder than others. 

Activity 1 - training for the Brighton half marathon. I am one third of the way through week 8 of this programme. 

Last Sunday I ran 11.75 km in 90 minutes.  It is true that Liz Yelling is probably not threatened by this achievement but it is the longest run I have ever done in my life - and amazingly I enjoyed doing it. So for this activity so far, so good.


Activity 2 - completing OU Creative Fiction course A215 - quarter of the way through so far.  My enthusiasm for poetry remains unchanged even though I was assured that the poetry element was not as daunting as it seemed.  Still hopeful that I might find a poet within I press on slowly.  I console myself that poetry is probably the least financially viable way to get out of the office.  I might need to work on my obsession with earning enough to keep body and soul together if I'm going to succeed as a writer.


Activity 3 -  complete the Brighton half marathon on 20 February 2011. I'm running for St Dunstan's a charity that helps blinded ex Service men and women to manage the trauma of blindness.  You can sponsor my team in this endeavour online by visiting our just giving just giving page


So I've started - now I just need to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment