Saturday 17 September 2016

Great British Bake Off 2016 Week 2 - Biscuit Week




So who ever wants an over 30cm high gingerbread representation of anything at an event? Nobody I can think of so I won't be making anything huge in gingerbread this week.  Who likes gingerbread enough to want to eat it anyway, particularly about 2kg of the stuff?
So it's biscuit week and I've made some iced beach huts in honour of my lovely friend Melinda who is leaving me after 11 years 10 months and a day.  We'll still be friends but now we'll only be friends without the backup of being colleagues.
Melinda is a bit of a rock for me, she made me feel welcome when I joined St Dunstan's (a bit of a shock to the system joining a 90 year old charity that still had records of people born in 18xx), she was there to eat some of my shiny cake when I was encouraged by Adrian to 'get rid of all of it'.  She is my favourite shopping companion because I can share my cellulite and excess central blubber with her without hating myself.  Melinda is a great day hotel companion - when on business and everyone else is being a bit serious and managerial we can giggle like naughty boarding school girls yet still get the job done.  Away on holiday we enjoy the same things, paintings, opera, handbag buying and taking refreshment.
Melinda is also a bit bonkers - this picture was taken at 17.14 yesterday.  That was 14 minutes after her contract of employment ended and she's still working while I stand behind her tapping my watch and wanting to start the weekend.   I hope your new employer appreciates your dedication, exuberance and doesn't mind your colourful vocabulary.  Good luck, I look forward to Bucharest (or is that Budapest or Dubrovnik?)
I did make the full complement of 24 iced biscuits even though only 15 made it into the photo - I can't claim to have completed them in 150 minutes.  Surely the time constraints on GBBO are not real?  My huts were made in instalments fitted around work, book club and discussing the pantry with a carpenter and cooking and eating dinner but added together my minutes would have exceeded 150 by far I'm sure and I can see they are a little rustic and rough around the edges.  How Andrew produced those perfect bee biscuits in less than 2 and a half hours is beyond me.
I love the Bake Off including the Extra Slice but my problem is I want to try every bake and I can't keep up with the eating, although this is encouraging my attempts to get running again (at least my weight remains neutral this way).

No comments:

Post a Comment