Wednesday 23 May 2012

The Importance of Being Earnest

I was enjoying the performance too much to take any pictures at the time and by the time I thought about it full cast in costume were not around.
I loved the way Witness Theatre interpreted this work.  Played out in an impossibly small territory (including on top of the counter) at the Red Roaster Coffee Shop in Brighton the play spills into the audience quite skilfully from time to time (without scaring or embarrassing anyone).  The immediacy of the action enhanced the experience for me although I think the idea of the characters introducing themselves to the audience as they were settling into their seats is quite daring.  It could have backfired with patrons not familiar with the play.  Had I known to expect to meet Miss Prism and Mr Worthing before the performance started I might have been put off going but in retrospect this rather bold idea got me engaged with the performance right from the start.
The script of this play is a dream to work with and I'm sure the actors had as much fun with it as the audience did.

No comments:

Post a Comment