Monday 23 April 2012

World Book Night 2012

I'm not quite bold enough to accost complete strangers in the street and grill them about their reading habits before offering them a copy of A Tale of Two Cities but as you can see I was brazen enough to ask Peter James to appear with me in a photograph.
Horsham Library arranged for Peter to come and talk to local book lovers (and promote his latest book) as a WBN2012 event.  I didn't know about the event as I am a little afraid of libraries.  My past experiences being expensive occasions when I've ended up paying for a book (fines) but having to give it back as well.  Once (not in the UK) I paid for a library book via the local equivalent of council tax and that was very costly.  Anyway after having a cuddle with Mr James I am now a firm fan of the library and might even try borrowing a book again.  Thanks to my lovely neighbour Cheryl for telling me about the event and organising our tickets.  I repaid her act of generosity by taking a photo of her with the writer but not being gifted as a photographer I managed to omit her head from the picture.  Sorry Cheryl.
There were a few WBN2012 Givers at the event and quite a lot of books were given away.  Peter James was interesting, funny and a bit gory at times and very patiently signed lots of books and chatted to fans.  I am delighted to hear that Roy Grace is being dramatised and might even venture to the cinema to see the film when it is released.  Anyone who knows me will know that the cinema is not usually more than an annual event for me but I will make the effort for the detective who drives past my place of work in the same car I drive.  Perhaps in future he could turn up our driveway and involve us in one of his cases.
Congratulations to Jamie Byng both for completing the London Marathon and for starting WBN, please  keep it going.
Far from being a detriment to booksellers (claimed by Vanessa Robertson of the Edinburgh Book Shop according to the Guardian website) it has been an inspiration for many.  My own experience as one of the thousands of Givers has been brilliant.  I've got to know my neighbours and we now have a reading group up and running.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photo and looking forward to receiving my copy of the Tale of Two Cities (I hope!) Amy xx

    ReplyDelete