Friday 16 September 2011

Why do airports sell giant Toblerones?

Why is it that airports offer a load of rubbish that nobody wants to buy but they don't sell the sorts of things you might actually need?

Wardrobe planning failure meant I had to wear white trousers with cotton gusset pantyhose underneath (even less comfortable and attractive than it sounds).  No problem I thought, I'll buy a pair of plain white or beige pants at Gatwick.

Not one of the multitude of shops in the North Terminal sells functional ladies underwear.  I could have bought an Olympic branded teddy bear, any amount of perfume, raffle tickets for a luxury car, a computer, binoculars, running gear (who does that on holiday?), luggage (bit late after checkin you would have thought), a giant Toblerone - but no simple underwear.

What I want to know is who actually buys anything at these shops?  Even with a flight delay of 8 hours last year I wasn't tempted.

It seems to me that the luxury and mystery of air travel is very much a thing of the past, when will airport retailer planners catch up?  Most of my fellow travellers looked as though they would be more at home in Poundland than Harrods.

No comments:

Post a Comment