Wednesday 1 June 2011

There had to be one duffer

Michael Brooks - 13 Things That Don't Make Sense

An insect crawled up the right leg of my trousers at the beginning of this event and rather annoyingly bit me so I was slightly distracted for a few mins.

Not sure I agree with him on the Free Will thing but his argument that sexual reproduction is not very efficient seemed to make sense.  And he had some very interesting thoughts on the placebo effect.






Roy Hattersley - David Lloyd George:  The Great Outsider

The main argument seemed to be that public opinion about Lloyd George is so clouded by the consequences of the flaws in his character that he is generally not remembered for the few but significant ways in which he influenced British society.  Apparently he was responsible for the National Insurance Bill that introduced old age pensions to Britain and was the forerunner of the NHS and Social Security payments.

He also argued that social mobility was starting to be seen in British politics an argument with which Adrian strongly disagrees.  I need to examine the evidence before making up my mind.



NEF DEBATE 3: WHAT IF A 21-HOUR WORKING WEEK BECAME THE NORM?


We were in agreement on this shambles and so too were some other members of the audience who muttered as much as we left the Elmlea tent.   I booked for this event because of my interest in the subject but tragically, in my opinion, the cause of reducing the working week will be hindered rather than helped by this bunch.  Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment